How to Remove Rusty Bolts

how to remove rusty bolts

Q.

I am having a tough time removing rusted bolts on a total restoration project. Can someone offer a lead on removing them? Thanks

A.

This is a question every car enthusiasts have asked themselves. “What is the best way to remove rusty bolts?”

Basically there are two tried and true methods for un-bolting rusty fasteners, penetrating oils and heat. Let’s discuss penetrating oils first.

Many enthusiasts quickly grab the can of WD-40; hose down the bolt then try to turn it two minutes later, often times without success. Remember those bolts have had 30-plus years to rust together releasing them seldom comes that fast. But first let’s discuss your choice of penetrating oil:

In a published article in Machinist Workshop Magazine, they tested some commercially available penetrating oils on a group of nuts & bolts they had scientifically rusted to a uniform degree in a salt-water solution.

The fasteners were treated with a variety of commercially available penetrants and the measured torque required to loosen them was recorded.

The break out torque required for:

• Nothing = 516 ft. lbs.
  • WD-40 = 238 ft. lbs.
  • PB Blaster = 214 ft. lbs.
  • Liquid Wrench = 127 ft. lbs.
  • Kano Kroil = 106 ft. lbs.
  • 50/50 blend of ATF and Acetone = 50 ft. lbs.

As you can see by the results of their test, the homebrew concoction of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone worked best. But also keep in mind that Acetone is very flammable and must be dispensed from a sealed metal container, similar to the old oil squirt cans. From my own experience this solution works very well and seems to work a little better if you use synthetic ATF. I have also used Kroil for years and because it’s less volatile than the Homebrew it is often my first choice.

Don’t rush it. When I have several bolts to remove, that I know are going to give me trouble, I will often spray them down several times over the course of a couple weeks before even trying to turn them.

If all else fails, I use heat… and I mean red hot! Simply getting a bolt hot with propane or Map gas seldom does the trick. It’s time to break out the oxy/acetylene torch and heat up the nut so it expands away from the bolt. Then before it cools, wrench it off. Of course if it’s close to anything that could combust (i.e. gas tanks, fiberglass bodies, etc.) don’t try it! Instead, spray on more penetrating oil and try again later.

There is another method to supply the heat directly to the bolt without affecting the surrounding area, and that is using inductive heating. While relatively new on the market the inductive heaters get the job done with a lot less risk than using an open flame, their $500-$600 price point will put it out of range for many hobbyists.

Cautionary Notes: Always wear eye protection when working with solvent. Penetrating oils contain solvents; it is a good practice to wear rubber gloves to protect yourself from them. Always use Acetone in a well-ventilated area, as it is highly volatile. Never combine the use of penetrating oils and heat, as the fumes can be hazardous to your health. When using a torch to heat bolts be aware of any other flammable components nearby and have a fire extinguisher ready.

I hope this helps, and if all else fails, check out this great video where Brent demonstrates how to remove broken bolts using an easy out.

Wrench Safe,

Mark

19 Responses to “How to Remove Rusty Bolts”
  1. Dennis Newman

Hi Mark, I used the ATF/Acetone on a 1930 Hercules engine, in an Ahrens Fox fire truck, that had frozen, Head cracked, and sat for 40+ years. I poured the mixture into the spark plug holes until it came out the exhaust and all other openings, let it set for a few months. All parts came out without damage no broken rings or pistons or bolts. The cylinder head was stitched, not welded. The engine now runs great. So the home brew works!

2. Buzz Madsen

I have a ’65 year old Studebaker pick up on which I’m trying to preserve the original patina, even though it’s mostly down to the original primer and surface rust. I had bolts holding on the tail gate and I needed heat to get them off. I packed modeling clay around the area where heat from my torch would be applied. Also protected the surface around the bolt as much as possible with a cut and spread piece of conduit. Heated the nut red hot and it came right off without any trace of burning on the surrounding metal.

3. Rob Hilton

SeaFoam Deep Creep penetrating oil works really well and is relatively safe & inexpensive at around $8. Have used it on old engines that have sat out in the weather for years. It is in a spray can so easy to get into those hard to reach places. Rob

4. Don

A old timer told me away to get some rusty lifter/ valve guides out of a old ford flair head v8 . Take a can of coke and pour it on the bolts .let it sit over night. I though this was a joke. But I did try it, guess what, they can out like butter. If Coke can do that, what does it your insides. This old trick might help.

• Customer Service Techs

All of the tests I have read or heard of, use a 50/50 mix of ATF to Acetone. I have always used the same equal part ratio in my own shop with great results. Would a different ratio work better? Perhaps. But in my mind it would be hard to improve on the results the 50/50 mix delivers already. The only variable that many claim works better is to use synthetic ATF (because of its smaller molecule size). While I have tried both, they seem to work about the same in my own unscientific tests.

Wrench Safe, Mark

5. Kevin Gill

on bolts that I can heat with a torch I get them red hot, melt a bit of candle wax on them and go drink a cup of coffee. works 99% of the time

6. Keith Florence

I am into doing restos on early model Holdens Hq to wb and a vh commodore but do not have a credit card any more for these things

• Customer Service Techs

Hello Keith, if you are inquiry about having a credit card to pay for the Premium Membership, we do except prepaid visa gift card as well. If you have any further question, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3534. Thank you!

• Customer Service Techs

Hello Keith, if you are inquiry about having a credit card to register for the Premium Membership then we want to let you know that you may also register with a prepaid visa gift card too. If you have any question, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3534. Thank you!

7. larry schram

I’ve had pretty good success with diesel fuel for throttle cables and engine blocks that were seized.somtimes it takes awhile but it works.thanks for the other tips.

8. Jeff isaak

Product called tri flow is the best that I have ever seen for anything rusty even smells like the old gun cleaning solvent they would sell ya

9. Charles

I was surprised at how well Liquid Wrench worked. Most younger people think the latest stuff has to be better and since LW has been around 100 years you don’t see it used much anymore. I mixed a batch of the Acetone and ATF, but haven’t had occasion to try it yet. One thing I noticed is it separates fairly quickly which means you have to remember to shake it before each use. Anyone else experience this?

10. Patrick

I’ve been rebuilding starters, alternators and dc service motors (plows, salt water marine,etc.) for 33 years up here in the Northeast ( New England ). My biggest nightmare is a #12 screw broken off in an aluminum housing (dis-similar metals). I’ve tried many products, but keep coming back to Zep Q45 penetrant and heat. However, the ATF/Acetone suggestion has peaked my interest. I’ll be trying it out this coming week.

11. Joe Dial

The best penetrating oil I have ever used is GM Heat Valve Lubricant. It will break rusty bolts better than anything else

12. Diesel DAN

Yes I can personally attest that the ATF works for rusty bolts and a product called Kroll is a close second too !! but hey heres a neet trick I bet not too many have tried !! and ive had some success with it , everyone uses heat as a last resort because it melts everything around it !! well try using a TIG torch for your heat source !! it gets the job done and doesn’t melt everything around it !!

13. Gary

When and if I have to heat a bolt etc I use a small welding tip with my oxy/acetylene I can use a low small hot flame to heat it up and not burn or heat other areas just takes a little longer to heat but not much longer.

14. kenneth

Another thing to try after letting that rusty bolt soak is a sharp tap on the bolt or stud with a hammer. Use a punch if needed to get to the end of the bolt. Do be careful – don’t round off the threaded end the bolt.

15. John

I have used a product called KANO from Kano labs. It has never failed when I have the patience to let it seep into the rusted area. I think you can do a search on the web and you will find them. Good luck!